Thursday, May 24, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

So Memorial Day weekend is upon us.  I don't have much planned except hosting a geocaching event on Saturday afternoon at the Humpty Dumpty's ice cream place in Saratoga.  I have been going there since a kid for ice cream.  It was always such a treat to go there.  My sister, Brenda is currently in Illinois attending Geowoodstock X. They drove up thru Arkansas and Missouri.  They went to St. Louis too.  I think they have gone to a few Geowoodstocks.  Last years was in PA but I didn't go.  I may go to the Berkshire Geobash in Massachusetts next month.  
I leased another horse this week.  I am hoping this won't turn out to be a disaster like leasing Stanley the 33 year old quarter horse was.  Honey is a 16 year old Belgian who is used for lessons.  My first time alone with her went well up until I tried to mount and she decided she didn't want to be mounted and kept moving away from the block.  Next time I go, that will be something we will have to work on.  She is trained not to do that, so I think she is testing me!  She was being a bit ornery while riding too.  I think next time I will try an English saddle.  I have been getting bruised up on my right leg from the Western saddle for some reason, and besides I want to be able to practice posting the trot.  I like the Western saddle but find it hard to sit a trot.  She will only trot a little and then stops I think because I bounce so much!  
I am hoping we can go do some sightseeing in the next few weeks.  I have been staying home too much and am getting a little depressed I think.  We haven't been really doing much because the car keeps having problems with overheating.  We have to run the heater to keep the motor cooled.  Not much fun when it is hot out.  There are a lot of things I want to do this summer.. so we will have to see.  I want to get some camping things together and go camping.  We need another tent for the kids, a camp stove and a pump for the air mattress.  I refuse to sleep on the hard ground!  A few sleeping bags would be nice too but we can pack blankets.  It will be cheaper than staying in a motel.  There are some areas I want to explore south down in the Hudson valley and there are a lot of state parks down there too.  Not too far from NYC either.  We can camp and go down to the zoo.
Rich has been doing some work for the neighbor who moved in.  Things have been getting wilder in the park.  A lot of arguments, drinking, fights etc.. This place is a zoo in itself!  Bunch of white trash around here.  I had a blog about it but decided it was not nice to gossip.   I don't understand why people have to act like they do.  I hate living in a place like this.  I'm right in the middle of all the feuding. 
Anyhow.. the garden is coming along nicely.  I still want to plant some peas and beans and try some potatoes again.  I might try growing them in a bucket.  I saw some seed potatoes at the store but last time I just bought a cheap bag of potatoes and waited for them to sprout and used those.  Maybe the seed potatoes will work better.  I also want to build a compost bin.  I looked online and saw I can make one out of a regular plastic trash can.  You just roll them around to turn the compost and in a couple weeks it should be ready!  With the compost pile all the good stuff just washes down into the ground underneath.  I want some nice compost tea to water my plants with.  I hope everyone has a fun and safe weekend, remember the real reason for Memorial Day and thank a Veteran!

1 comment:

  1. I hope you and family enjoy the weekend. Hopefully all the loud people will take themselves off elsewhere. A lot of cachers from down this way are going to geowoodstock. Not us though.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!