Monday, August 15, 2011

Trains

Here in Saratoga County there are railroad tracks that crisscross everywhere.  Many country roads here have RR crossings including the one I live on now.  When I was in school and riding the bus we went on one route that went past the tracks on Bockes Rd. in Greenfield.  Sometimes we would be fortunate enough to have to wait for a train!  All the kids would be so excited because if we could we would count how many cars went by.  Can you imagine the whole busload of children counting, 1, 2, 3 etc.. as the train went by.  Sometimes it was just the sleek and fast Amtrak which was not possible to count.  Most often is was the ponderous freight trains coming from Corinth or some other northern town.  All those train tracks lay dormant for years and years after the mills in Corinth and north shut down.  Now we have the Saratoga and North Creek Railway that comes through and I just love to hear the train going by.  I can't quite see it because of the trees but one of these days I'm going to go down to the tracks and record it coming by!  I have a video clip on my Facebook page of the sound of it.  You can listen to it HERE.  We are also planning on riding it this fall and go up to North Creek for a few hours and play tourist. 

2 comments:

  1. Stopping by to check in. Am worried about you. Hope you are ok and will post soon.Miss your wonderful stories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. Just stopping by. Thanks for stopping by my blog. You need to update and put a new entry in. Happy Holidays!! See ya around!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!