Tuesday, January 8, 2019

Snow

We got a nice coating of snow overnight.  This winter has not been very conducive for snow!  Hey that is a big word.. lol.  I remember in my youth, before all this global warming crap, we would get real winters!  At least 4 feet of snow on the ground, that stayed until spring.  A big snow would always excite us because we hoped to get the day off school.  Unfortunately, living in the North East and having bus drivers that probably train in Antarctica, school doesn't close often up here.  One year, our bus did slide off the road into a ditch.  I guess my stepfather was working for the county at the time, because he happened across the bus while plowing and got us out.  Maybe he just had a truck, I don't know.  All I remember is being on the bus in the ditch and seeing him coming to help.  I remember bragging to the other kids that he was my stepfather.  I must have still been in the hero worship phase back then!  
As we got older, snow wasn't so much fun.  As soon as breakfast was over, we got bundled up and headed out to shovel snow.  The asshole had a plow, but he would sit in the house, nice and warm while he had his little army of slaves shoveling.  We shoveled all day.  We shoveled paths, driveways, in front of the garage and cellar.  He said he needed all this done, in case he decided to walk somewhere.  We had learned at that stage that there was no refusal.  We dared not back talk or whine like todays kids.  That would have earned us a nice, hard spanking.  
We did get to play in the snow at times.  We had those cheap little plastic sleds that look like sheets.  We had a saucer once in a while and also an old toboggan that we didn't use much.  We would make snow angels and snowmen.  One year, my sister built me into a snowman.  I'll have a photo, but can't find it right now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!