Thursday, August 6, 2020

Red Tail hawk

I've suspected that there was a hawk hanging around.  I thought I caught a glimpse of something flying through the yard a few days ago.  The other evening, I was outside to look at the rabbits and chipmunks.  I went back in for something and through the kitchen window, I saw the brown thing swoop by again.  I went out and all the critters had disappeared.  I looked around and over on the roof of the house next door was a beautiful hawk.  It was quite large.  I took many photos while it patiently perched there.  I determined that it was an immature Red tail hawk.  I had seen one a couple months ago that had been killed by a vehicle and took photos of it.  I didn't know what it was because of the lack of red on the tail.  It turns out that these birds don't develop the red tail until they are adults.
So here it is, the neighborhood hawk.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!